Rick Snyder Tries Porkbarrel Backroom Trading Deals with “Overseer Financial Law”?
Rachel Maddow has called this shock doctrine, and she has a whole video regarding the possibility that Republicans are doing this to have a monopoly. Commentator states that unions oppose monopolies, in the form of government contracts. Can we say Mexican government buy-outs? Oh, done by Rick Snyder. Can we say outlawing democracy principals? Done by Rick Snyder.
The Michigan Messenger published this accounting:
In an article published in The Michigan Messenger, Eartha Jane Melzer wrote:
Under the law whole cities or school districts could be eliminated without any public participation or oversight, and amendments designed to provide minimal safeguards and public involvement were voted down.
An amendment to require Emergency Managers to hold monthly public meetings to let people know how they are governing was rejected by Senate Republicans, along with proposals to cap Emergency Manager compensation and require that those appointed to run school districts have some background in education.
Critics say that Republicans are manipulating concerns about budget problems in order to consolidate power by undermining unions.
According to E. D. Kain: Snyder’s law gives the state government the power not only to break up unions, but to dissolve entire local governments and place appointed “Emergency Managers” in their stead. But that’s not all – whole cities could be eliminated if Emergency Managers and the governor choose to do so. And Snyder can fire elected officials unilaterally, without any input from voters. It doesn’t get much more anti-Democratic than that.
- $100: The cost to shield Gov. Rick Snyder’s tax proposal from voters – Detroit Free Press (news.google.com)
- Looks like Rick Snyder and his royal court of Republicans have declared Snyder King of Michigan. (iflizwerequeen.com)
- State of Change: Can Gov. Rick Snyder’s speech seed bipartisanship? (xoutsocialism.wordpress.com)
- Michigan’s Governor May Be Worse Than Walker (crooksandliars.com)
- More GOP Shenanigans: Michigan Edition (alan.com)